Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hanukkah Harry. 28"

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6997/2134/1600/HANNUKAH%20HARRY.0.jpg


Began in my mind with a skit on Saturday Night Live before I was even a dollmaker.

When I began making dolls, most of them were Santas and Fathers Christmas. And I began wondering how it felt to be among the minorities watching Christmas, or "white" Christmas taking place all around you as a child, so decided to add minorities to the mix. About 10 to 20% of my dolls have thus been other ethnicities than WASP.

When I decided to do Hanukkah Harry, I passed the idea by a good Jewish friend, whose immediate response was: DON'T!!! As we talked about what I had in mind, she changed her mind, and ended up helping me out. I couldn't have made any of them without her help.

She went to her attic, and found fifty years' worth of Hanukkah papers. She told me when she was first married in 1948 that she could never be certain of finding paper the next year, so she wrapped boxes and their lids, and made the kids give her the boxes back immediately they opened their gifts. I borrowed the papers, and had them color reproduced at a reduced scale, to fit to the doll's size. She also sent me to a friend of hers, a craftsman who made dreidels ~~ he'd been experimenting with doing miniatures, had decided not to, and agreed to sell me his ten prototypes. I've made and sold six Hanukkah Harrys, so when the next four are made/sold, I'll have to go looking again, lol!

I learned how to hand tie the little string bag so the miniature gift boxes are visible, and the papers vary. My friend also gave me some printed Hanukkah gelt, which was reproduced, again on a reduced scale, which you see at his feet. The scrolls in the crook of his arm are a Crossword puzzle in Hebrew, and instructions for doing a petit pointe
Aleph-Bet, also reduced scale.

Hat, scarf and mittens were knitted by a friend, and each set is different shades of blue and white. His hands are wired so he can hold the dreidel.

As always each face is one of a kind, and different from any of the others in this series. He always wears black boots, grey or black pants, a vest, and a black or grey overcoat. My friend sez she always thinks of him as Unca Harry sloshing through the streets of NYC to visit during Hanukkah. Sometimes I think of him as
Channuka Charry. . . .

They have each sold for $600. The old version was wired to a base, the new version stands alone, balancing on his own.





1 Comments:

Blogger listener said...

I love your work, your art, so much! ♥

Friday, October 04, 2013 9:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home